Warning: mysqli_num_fields() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in /web/htdocs/www.hotelsangiuseppe.it/home/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 3187
Church of Gesu' Nuovo | Hotel San Giuseppe
Church of Gesu’ Nuovo

Built for will of the Gesuits between 1584 and 1601, on the area of Palazzo dei Sanseverino of which it still preserves the Façade made of trachytic rock with dog-tooth moulding (made in 1470 by Novello da San Lucano), it contains rich marble and pictorial decorations accomplished betweeen the XVI and XVIII century.

After 1639’s fire Cosimo Fanzago took care of the restoration that gave the church its Baroque look.

In 1771 Ferdinando Fuga directed some reinforcement works of the structure.

The church’s interiors, typically Baroque in style, has a Greek-cross plan, three naves and walls covered by polychromatic marbles.

Many frescoes of great value among which La cacciata di Eliodoro dal tempio, of Francesco Solimena (1725) positioned inside on top of the portal and vault paintings by Paolo De Matteis and Belisario Corenzio. In the chapels, precious canvases of Massimo Stanzione and Giuseppe Ribera.

The sculptural apparatus is very rich and realized by marble workers that have started working from the XVII century on, creating the polychromatic marble floor and the marble covering of all the church’s walls.

For more Information consult: Wikipedia